Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of that year's incoming freshmen. Here is this year's list:
The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980-81:
- They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
- They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
- Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
- There has been only one Pope.
- They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold war.
- They have never feared a nuclear war.
- They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
- Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
- Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
- Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
- They have never owned a record player.
- They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
- They may have never heard of an 8 track.
- The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
- As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents.
- They have always had an answering machine.
- Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels nor have they seen a black-and-white TV.
- They have always had cable.
- There have always been VCR's, but they have no idea what BETA is.
- They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
- They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
- Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.
- Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
- They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
- Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
- They have never seen Larry Bird play.
- They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
- The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil War.
- They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
- They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
- They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
- They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "de plane, de plane!"
- They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
- The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew where it was.
- Michael Jackson has always been white.
- Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not music groups.
- McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
- There has always been MTV.
- They don't have a clue of how to use a typewriter.
Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to other ancient ones...
NONE of us are "ancient ones."